Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Back on the Trail

With the completion of the Brand quilt last week my attention has been on the Santa Fe Trail Quilt.  I spent much of the weekend marking and quilting.  I chose a "hanging diamond" quilt design after doing some searching through some of my books for vintage quilts and heirloom quilts.  


As my reference book stated, "Often a quilt needs straight-line quilting, but stitching in the ditch alone will not add any surface texture.  Therefore, an old, traditional way to achieve a heavy amount of quilting using straight lines - yet adding diagonal lines for interest - is stitching "hanging diamonds".  This technique uses straight lines, parallel to the border for the lengthwise direction of the quilt, then crosses the stitches with one-directional diagonal lines."


My quilting lines are 1-1/2" apart.  And with the use of the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 Cotton/poly batting, when this quilt is washed and dried it will have a vintage look and feel to it.  

FYI, for those participating in the Santa Fe Trail Sew Along, the fabric requirements for the sashing strips, borders, backing and binding will be included with block #4 on June 10th.

Once this Trail quilt is completed I will have a photo shoot at one of the nearby wagon tracks sites.  We have rain in the past few weeks and the prairies are lush and green and the flowers are blooming.  It should be a beautiful setting!


Beyond the Trail, I will return to the Paper Doll Quilts for our grand-daughters.  This one will be my One Month Goal... 

I am looking forward to creating some great outfits for these dolls!  A few that I have in mind are ballerinas, cheer leaders, basketball players, and a super hero or two.  Oh, and since I have been on such a "western" theme, a cowboy with jeans, a vest and red bandana. 🤠

What sort of clothing would YOU suggest?

Leave a comment... I welcome your ideas!

Piece Happy!

Melva

Linking with:

To Do Tuesday at Chris Knits & Sews
One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show at Life in the Scrap Patch

8 comments:

  1. We nurses like to be represented too!! This will be so cute. I love crosshatching on a quilt! Looking forward to block #4 so I can order my fabric!! Thanks, Melva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea, all those outfits! Good luck with your weekly goals. Thanks for linking up with To-Do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about how you are going to do the doll quilt with interchangeable clothes? Will they be one layer of fabric with velcro? Could you please do a tutorial when you are finished? My neighbor's daughter would love something like that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fruit/vegetable outfits. A bit Halloween, a bit scary. Animal doctor, firefighter, pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilting choice for your quilt! Can't wait to see it photographed on the wagon when the weather permits. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilting is wonderful on your Santa Fe Trail Quilt. Looking forward to the new paper doll quilt blocks. Lots of good suggestions for clothes. Maybe one Sunbonnet Sue ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about a graduate gown and maybe a lawyer and a scientist? Good to give children aspirations!

    ReplyDelete