Monday, November 18, 2019

A Time For All Seasons - November

This month's A Time For All Seasons block from Joan at Moosestash Quilting captures the fall/Thanksgiving theme so wonderfully...
















I did one colorful block that reminds me of Indian Corn...  and a fall wreath that I made with the girls one year for Thanksgiving.  It is looking a little tired but I love the little corn husk dolls that are on it and I simply cannot bear to part with it yet. 💓

We made the wreath with grape vines that grew on the property when we lived in Illinois (25 years ago!) and then made those little corn husk dolls when I introduced them to Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House" books.  

Sadly, the books never captured their attention like they did mine.  But they both have a love for reading so it isn't all bad. 😉








And while winter has attempted to poke its nose into the business of autumn, it has been short lived.  

So last weekend when my husband had the opportunity to go elk hunting with a friend I took advantage of the beautiful "Indian Summer" and enjoyed a walk at the state park not far from my home.













The landscape, along with the thought of the "Little House" books fresh in my mind, I was inspired to make a second block...  This one featuring some calico and some of the hand-dyed eco-printed fabric that I have recently added to my stash.




With Thanksgiving just around the corner we are planning to go camping.  Yes... one last time until next February/March.  Our children will be celebrating on Thursday with their respective in-laws and everyone will come together for a relaxing day on the following Saturday.  (You know, I love that the girls are married and our family has grown, but one of the hardest adjustments I have had is the fact that we have to "share" them when it comes to holidays.)

Our menu will consist of turkey (of course!), dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a vegetable side dish (green beans or carrots) and fruit salad.  Oh, and don't forget the cranberries!  

Cranberries are probably my favorite side... a little tart, a little sweet.  I recall as a kid my Mom making them by following the directions on the package.  My  Dad must have asked her to try making them... they were his favorite as well.  They were yummy, but they didn't set or gel... The next day she was on the phone with my Aunt Clara (Dad's sister) asking "What's the secret was to getting cranberries to thicken as they cool?" 

That secret was a package of orange gelatin!  There you have it!  Follow the recipe on the package and when they are done cooking, stir in a package of orange jell-o.


What is your favorite side dish to a Thanksgiving (or turkey) meal?

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you.

Quilt Happy,

Melva
Plan to join me for a fun sew along that will feature vintage Kansas City Star quilt blocks!

Linking with:

BOMs Away at What A Hoot Quilts

What I Made Monday at Pretty Piney
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Colour & Inspiration at Clever Chameleon Quilting
Mid-week Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter
Put Your Foot Down at For the Love of Geese
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Creative Compulsions at Bijou Bead Boutique
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off The Wall Friday with Nina Marie
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy’s Quilts and More

Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts

9 comments:

  1. Yay, cranberries! Citrus flavors are a terrific complement to the sauce, for sure. Beautiful blocks! Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and have read the series several times as an adult. Sharing your kids after they are married does require an adjustment and I have 3 in the military as well, so they are rarely home for the holidays. Trying to get 7 kids, spouses and grands together for a single day is just about impossible!! Maybe for my funeral!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family has homemade dumplings!!! I regret not eating them sooner, but as a kid they just didn't appeal. Now I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, that's what I always do with cranberry sauce! It is very tasty. My favorite side is mashed potatoes, but that's because my husband isn't around to make candied sweet potatoes for me. I also love the cranberry sauce. We're having ham. =) Both of the blocks are wonderful. I'd love a whole quilt of those, wouldn't you? I might make them bigger than 12" finished blocks, though. LOL The wreath is a wonderful memory. Can you replace the fabric/ribbon with a newer one? It has so many wonderful memories in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my favorite side is stuffing (not cooked in the bird) but flavored with the broth that the bird makes, with lots of celery and hazelnuts! YUMMMMMMMMM!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of adding orange jello to cranberries - I'll have to try that! And my favorite is the whole meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blocks! My favorite? is Strawberry Pretzel Salad... I don't know that that is traditional - but we make it every year and its always gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great block and it reminds me of Indian Corn too! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete