Saturday, February 11, 2017

Team Spirit

What do you do when a customer requests a quilt that features two specific teams that do not share a mascot or team colors - such as the University of Michigan and Raiders???  One is blue & gold and the other is black and silver...




I pulled out my graph paper and started sketching... alternating 9-patch and 4-patch blocks, I was confident about what to do with the center part of the quilt using UofMI fabric in the center part with the Raiders on the outer portion...













I had ordered the licensed fabric on-line - The UofM fabric had a white background and the Raiders was a black background... (and I guessed on the amount needed - the Raiders was 58" wide {1 yard} and UM was 42" {2 yards}) Once it arrived I had to determine the block sizes and find coordinating fabrics. I settled with 12" finished blocks for the center portion

It is at times like this that it is wonderful to have a large stash! - For the center of the top I was able to pull yellow, white, grey and black.  






Then for the outer part I used the Raiders fabric alternated with some black and white striped fabric (again from my stash!).  I went with a grey print in the final border to soften the edges - this I had to purchase.




Time for the backing!  I had some of the licensed fabrics left over, but not enough of either for the entire backing so I went with a pieced back including some of the printed grey that had been purchased.



What a challenge to incorporate two completely different teams/mascots - AND make it look guy-like masculine! (I had many consultations with my husband...) Overall I am pleased with final look.  And I am pretty certain my customer will like it as well.





What are your tips for such a situation? 
How do you "blend" such differing colors/themes? 

Next up?  A little "Hanky Panky"...

Happy sewing!
Melva


See what other quilters are talking about over at QuilterBlogs

3 comments:

  1. Great solution, Melva! Using licensed fabrics in coordination with solids really blended to two together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melva .
    Hello I have a question I have been trying to sew a blanket but I cut them like triangles but im trying to put it together. And it isn't coming out right can u please give me a solution please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would need to see a picture and an email address to respond. Send me a message at MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

      Delete