Thursday, May 18, 2017

Rainy Day Quilt

Last week was a wet, rainy and cloudy week...  




Not very typical for the area (we live in the high-mountain desert), but the moisture was welcome in our drought stricken area.  We had so much rain that the drought conditions have been reversed and everything is looking lush and green!

As it rained, day after day after day, I was happily in my sewing room working of the sister quilt of the "Snowy Day Quilt"... "Rainy Day Quilt"



The rain clouds have moved on and the borders of both quilts are on and ready to be sandwiched and quilted.

As I spent time perusing the gallery of the finished quilts I found several interesting quilting options for the sampler quilts.  You will have to watch for when I post about the finished quilts... how's that for a tease?

On a personal note, it was the early morning of the snowy day that my husband and I had ventured out for the local health fair, and it was at the end of the rainy week when we received the lab results of the health fair. 

The news of my TSH levels being low was a bit disturbing.  Mostly because I had been through the 2+ year treatment for Graves Disease several years ago and had been medication free for 5 years.  The endocrinologist had stated at that time that if my TSH levels dropped again surgery would be necessary.  My heart sank!

Not only surgery needed, but also the knowledge of needing medication for the remainder of my life does not appeal to me.

I quickly called the Natural Health Center of the Rockies and let them know that I was interested in some sort of natural alternative in treating my thyroid.  They helped me a year ago to find natural relief from seasonal and environmental allergies and it was life changing for me!  They reassured me that with a strict and radical diet change and a few supplements there was hope for correcting my thyroid activity.  YAY!

So, this week I have been exploring options for a gluten free diet... So long bread... farewell buns and English muffins... good bye pasta...  I know, I know, there are a lot of gf options, but in just the few days I have been searching, I have discovered that- 
1) the options in Southern Colorado are extremely limited and 
2) that most of the options are bland tasting and a weird texture.

I have openly admit that in the past I have enjoyed food...  for the flavors... for the textures...  and the variety.  And I refuse to succumb to eating strictly for nutritional necessities.  

I know that I am not alone and I am on the hunt for tried, tested and TASTY recipes - that are not only gluten-free but also soy-free and corn free. 

Many people suggested corn tortilla as an option to flour tortillas... Ehhh! (that is a buzzer sound, btw - lol.) No good - I can settle for a "burrito bowl" with some brown rice or quinoa instead of tacos or burritos.  But only if there is no pork or seafood.  **sad, pathetic sigh***

Thank goodness I had become adjusted to the biggest part of the diet change a year ago and know where and how to make substitutions... and that I don't mind taking the effort and time in making things from scratch.  I have recently looked into making my own vegetable stock since many of the stocks are not gluten free.

Most of the time I would welcome the opportunity to be in the kitchen, but I really, really would prefer to be in my studio quilting these sister quilts...



So if you are willing to help me out by sharing your tried, tested and TASTY gluten-free recipes, so that I don't have to search and experiment, I would greatly appreciate it.  You can leave the recipes or links in the comment section or feel free to e-mail me at davemelvanolan@aol.com  


Many thanks & blessings to you,

Melva

Stop by Quilter Blogs to see what other quilters are sharing...


3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the GF diet, Melva! I'm not a great cook but I can highly recommend the Betty Crocker GF mixes. Being in Australia I can't point you to any good bread brands. I'm like you, though, avoiding soy as well so it reduces the commercially made options somewhat. Love the Rainy Day quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilts are beautiful, can't wait to see how you quilt them. I wish you well on your new food journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you not just "luck" with your GF diet, but a sense of fun and exploration as you try new recipies and ideas. I don't have any particular GF advice, but as a person also living in an area with limited options, I personally purchase in bulk many natural items online that I cannot find within a 1+ hour drive from my home. Also, beautiful quilts; it's great to see them on the bed!

    ReplyDelete