Thursday, May 25, 2017

Birds of a Feather...

The first of the "Sister Quilts" has been quilted and is ready for binding!  It has been quite a week in my studio as I sat and quilted... continued quilting... and then quilted some more!

I chose to go with what I call and "orange peel" quilting in the sampler blocks.











As well as some pretty little vines and leaves in the sashing strips and the "non-HST" parts of the blocks.




I divided the wide borders into sections and did two runs of quilted feathers divided by a section of vines and leaves.



I was really at a loss for ideas of quilting as I sandwiched it.  Thank goodness it all started to come to me as I moved to the machine and progressed!  I had considered doing a serpentine pattern in the borders as I had done on the "enlarged quilt" last month, but my left hip argued with me stating that I sat nearly enough and that I needed to do something a little faster.  Free-motion is much faster than the walking foot!  So, free-motion won. 

What sort of quilting do you do on sampler quilts?  
Do you treat each block individually, or do you go with an all over quilting?

Also, what do you do to avoid the aches and pains that come with sitting at the sewing table for too long?

Let me know your ideas and suggestions by leaving a comment.  I love to hear from my readers and have the opportunity to interact with the quilting community in cyberland!

Happy Quilting!
Melva

Head over to QuilterBlogs to see what other quilters are talking about...

1 comment:

  1. Lovely job. Feathers!!! Very nice! I get up and move every hour or so. Stretching also helps. I've been using Lorna's (Sew Fresh Quilts) wavy lines on sampler quilts. They just kind of disappear.

    ReplyDelete