Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I'm Baaaa-ack

It has been weeks since I last posted... what happened???

It seems that ever since May when I was updating Dave's website and then making improvements on this blog I have spend an atrocious amount of time on the computer and using technology.  A few weeks ago I had scrolled past several articles about the need for a "digital detox" and "internet fasting"...  I thought to myself "That sounds nice, but a bit unrealistic.  Our business relies upon technology for advertising, billing and... just about everything."

I felt like I was on technology overload... My mind was tired of trying to fix, trouble-shoot and improve...  And then I had to travel to an appointment on the other end of the state.  Not only did I have limited time to be on the computer, but I had limited wi-fi and cell service. I then forgot my cell phone in my car when I joined some friends for a girls night out at a concert as well as the charging cord for my tablet.

It seems as thought it was time for a digital detoxing!  Upon my return home I was wrapped up with catching up on laundry and house cleaning.

BUT, I am now back, all caught up and I have resumed my regular routine.  This also means I am back in my sewing room!  YAY!!!

As I was resuming my routine I did have some playtime in my studio... I had been working on some crayon blocks, planning to make a throw quilt with them...


Here are some mock-up layouts I was considering...


  

As they hung out on the design wall my mind kept going back to the original idea of a wall hanging using just one large block with a name on it... I asked my oldest daughter (who is expecting her second baby) what her thoughts were.  She was thrilled with the idea. 


I quickly modified one of the blocks to have less pink/purple and 
more blue for a boy...



And I am certain that my Sweet Tater will love hers in her 
new "Big Girl Room"...

  

And I think this will be the perfect addition to the nursery...


I am just itchin' to get back to these fun projects, but I have a t-shirt quilt that must be finished for a young lady about to fly from the nest of her parent's home and is ready to discover the world while at college.  I think it is wonderful that her Mom wants to send her off with some special memories of her young life and a reminder of how much she is loved.

What is it about quilts that you love the most?  

For me it is that fact that I am making something that evokes emotion, can comfort and embrace a loved one as well as help someone recall memories and create new ones.  Most of all I want my quilts to represent love!  Which is why my quilt labels always include "Blessed from above, Made with Love."

Be Blessed!

Melva
  

Be sure you stop by Quilter Blogs to see what other quilters are talking about. :)


3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! It does sound like you have been a tad busy :) Glad things are caught up and returning back to normal for you. The crayon wall hangings will make sweet little presents for all of the kiddos. I like to think that it's neat, that even one day when I'm gone, a small piece of me will remain in my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life has a way of balancing itself out sometimes. It sounds like you had a nice break and welcome back! It sounds like you are going to put a lot of great energy into the quilt for the young lady going off to college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you're back and refreshed. The crayon quilt is a great idea and it looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete