Thursday, April 3, 2014

A "blended" quilt

This week two of my favorite activities came together - Scrapbooking and quilting.

Using my Cricut I created templates of 5 inch capital letters, traced them to fusible web, picked the letter fabric and then machine appliqued the letters to 6-1/2 inch blocks.  The end result was this fun little baby quilt!

 

As I was appliqueing the letters on to the blocks, I had them sorted by the color of letter because I was using matching threads.  As I sewed, I played a game in my mind of how many different words could be made up with the letters that I had spread out on my sewing table.  When they were all done, I played on my design wall...  What can I say, I am easily entertained!


Thus, my new cover photo for facebook... I couldn't help but think of the learning opportunities the activity offers.  Matching colors of letters, matching background fabrics, spelling, initials... 

This could be a fun activity with a young child, or with Alzheimer's or dementia patients.  In fact, it is something I would have enjoyed doing with either of my girls as preschoolers and even my dad as his Alzheimer's progressed. 

Oooh, it just occurred to me... What a fun wall-hanging this would/could be made for a baby's or toddler's room! 

My word for the year is Hope.  What word would you create? 

http://www.quilterblogs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment