Pages

▼

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Sew & Tell - 10/4/26


Hi!  My name is Melva... and this is my blog, Melva Loves Scraps.

I've been absent for the past several weeks so I thought I would take the opportunity to re-introduce myself! LOL!

Our travels and adventures were safe with several highlights and making it a memorable trip... mostly good, with a tidbit of challenge sprinkled in.

Within the first few hours on the road, we encountered our first challenge.  We made a stop to use the pitstop and when I exited the truck and turned toward the camper my eyes noticed something out of place!


Oh! NO!  It was cloudy, cool and just starting to sprinkle.  We knew were driving into a storm with rain predicted most of the way from CO to IL.  

Dave did some quick thinking... we visited the family dollar store across the highway and purchased a large (clear) storage tub, a knife, and tape.  I made a few more visits to get scissors and a marker.  An your later, we were back on the road with a repaired window in place...  I returned to my hand-quilting and audio book #1 - The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd


Not perfect, but it did keep the rain out!  Do you remember the old television show from the '90s - MacGyver?  This guy is a MacGyver!  The repair got us all the way to IL with no problems, though we did purchase some better tape once we reached our destination for the reunion events.
We made that tape purchase while collecting the items needed to MacGyver his eyeglasses since the left temple broke as we drove across Iowa.  A pair of Foster Grant sunglasses along with an eyeglass repair kit, nail file and a pair of pliers got him all fixed up and looking good for the gathering of classmates from H.D. Jacobs HS, Class of 1981.

The rain held off long enough for us to enjoy the kick-off of the homecoming game and then settled in for most of the weekend.

Between reunion events, we entertained ourselves with visiting some thrift shops and a very, very large, very, very good Antique Mall.  We found some great deals at Goodwill and they followed us home.  Among them... a brand-new pair of Levi 501 Jeans, some flannel work shirts and a pair of shorts for Dave.  I also purchased some patriotic fabric... Just $3 a bag.  The floral red is a continuous 3-yard cut.  The others are 1+ yards or more.  What a bargain!  I'll share soon what my plans for them are.  Here's the crazy bunch that gathered for the 45th reunion...


As we bid farewell to Illinois, we started book #2 - Every Breath by Nicholas Sparks - and made our way back to Iowa and then headed south to Missouri... More specifically, Hamilton, MO.  Though we resided at a State Park about 20 minutes from Hamilton.  


Hamilton, Missouri - the home of Missouri Star Quilt Company, also known as Quilt Town.  It was fun to wander the streets of the small town and see the variety of stores and the clever marketing they used to develop the themes of them.  Fresh Cut Market was strictly pre-cuts, the Flower Shop was all floral fabrics, etc.


After a few hours of doing that Dave (& I) were bored with the window shopping.  Honestly!  I didn't even buy any fabric from Quilt Town!  We enjoyed lunch and then went to the Missouri Quilt Museum.  Now... let me tell you... THAT was an impressive place to visit.  Dave enjoyed it as much as I did.  I have set a new life goal for myself but will not reveal what it is at this time.  There is a little groundwork to be laid out, and I want to be sure to get all my ducks in a row.

The next day, we drove into Kansas City to visit the Arabia Steamboat museum and the Museum of Trails in Independence.  The Steamboat Museum was amazing!  The Trail Museum... disappointing.  Oh well...


We moved on to Kansas... we detoured off I-70 to Wamego for a quick bite to eat in the camper followed by a visit to the Wizard of Oz Museum and winery... I bought a souvenir and then we drove to Russell, KS where the campground featured the sound of the trucks driving on I-70 and cows bawling from a nearby feedlot... and the aroma... well, I'll leave that to your imagination. ;)  Dave was struggling with an ache in his jaw at this point... he was a good sport as we continued our adventures.

The intersection near our site...
I kid you not... Main Street was a dirt road. It was a short stay, and we survived one night and then drove to Scott Lake State Park.  While there we drove the Little Jerusalem Site and hiked several miles in a light rain.  It was interesting to see... the sudden change in landscape was fascinating, but after our visit to Moab in April, it was pretty unspectacular.

It was about a 7-mile drive on dirt road that was a little soft and slick in spots.  4-wheel drive was a good thing to have!  We finished the afternoon out with a visit to the "Chalk Pyramids" since the camp host suggested it.  Well... THAT one did not disappoint!


The journey back to the lake was another 4-wheel drive adventure...

Since we were at the Lake over the weekend, we joined the very large crowd at a craft fair that was in town... It was HUGE!  We wandered, and looked and taste tested some more wine... I purchased the second bottle of wine in the photo above.  I like to buy the wines from the different places and save either the label (or if there is an embossed cork, I will make a magnet out of it) as my souvenirs.

Sunday morning greeted us with sunshine and Dave was ready to get home.  He loaded up with pain reliever and drove us home as we finished book #3 of the trip - Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.  


As we unloaded the camper the pain in his jaw increased and he struggled throughout the night.  On Monday morning the dentist offices we would trust did not have any Drs in that day.  We were able to get him some antibiotics and have since decided that he had a severe sinus infection that was not in the upper sinus cavity.  He is mostly mended and almost back to normal.  

I passed the time on familiar roads hand-quilting... I am nearly done with this little panel.  I was able to try out my new Roxanne thimble.  I found it easy to use.  I had a traditional thimble as well as the spinner ring that I purchased to try out a couple years ago.  All three work well for me and I cannot say that I have a preference.  I did notice that with each thimble I would hold the needle just a little different.  When one started feeling uncomfortable, I would switch to a different thimble.


I had a quilt deadline as soon as I got home.  I remembered that I needed to get my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt finished and, in the mail... I thought by Friday.  Turns out I gained a few days and that helped take some pressure off of myself.  I was able to get it done AND get caught up on laundry and housekeeping.

I will get a label on it and ship it off Monday afternoon. 

I could go on and on, but I really need to go supervise Mr. Dave.  He has construction tools in his hands to install one last cold air return for our new furnace.  So much for the housekeeping that I did.

I keep seeing the saying... If I clean house it just gets dirty again... If I make a quilt, it stays made!  It is so true!  I have so many thoughts and ideas in my head and no time to get them written down.  It's driving me nuts!  I feel like a pinball bouncing around in a pinball machine.  I have Lala's Irish Chain Quilt to still finish, Bookish Journey blocks to piece, a letter to write to the Quilt Museum and a plethora of creative ideas fighting to get out!  😮 Send help!

What do you do to help yourself stay organized and focused?

Leave a comment... I need the help!

Keep Piecing,

Melva

Linking with:

m


14 comments:

  1. What a fun and busy trip, Melva! You had my attention at the Oz Winery - that looks like a place we would like. I'm not sure I have an answer to your question this week - I definitely know how it feels to return home after being away for awhile and have so many ideas in your head that you don't know where to start. The RSC star quilt is a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful , grand adventure. And Woo Hoo for Mr. MacGyver for making the repairs. How clever to use a clear tub to repair the window! I am glad to hear you DH is on the mend from the sinus infection- they can be so painful. Enjoy settling in to being back home. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting! Thank you for recounting the trip for us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm married to a MacGyver as well. 🙂 He has saved one more than once with his ingenious ideas!
    The plethora of creative ideas is such a real thing!! I decided to focus the next few months on my WIPS. I've counted 13 so far and the frustrating part is how many other quilt ideas I want to start. 🤣 I'm committing to 15 minutes a day (minimum) to see how many I can finish. Going to keep blinders on regarding any squirrels. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very handy to be married to a MacGyver type. Looks like you did a bit of this and that, which makes for a fun trip. We went to Hamilton, MO a few years ago. My Guy thought I just wanted to go to a "shop", he didn't realize pretty much the whole town was the shop! Those sinus infections that cause tooth pain are absolutely no fun. So glad he was able to get the antibiotics. Your RSC quilt turned out beautifully. Seems like you've gotten back into the home groove pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning! What an adventure you two had! I'm tempted to share this with dh - we're also RVers but have settled down for a spell at our daughter's place - she has an RV hookup. He'll probably start planning a trip in his mind and off we'll go! :-O Oh and dh has found that electrical tape helps to have on hand when dealing with RV windows.
    You've been to places that we have also visited but I do love that you have found some out of the way adventures. Especially the Chalk Pyramids. How neat! I've been to Quilt Town a couple of times but always seem to miss the museum for some reason. Dh was kind enough to let me "forage" but with a limit. ;-) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pulling a camper is always an adventure, not always good! But if you go into that knowing things don't always go right you have a better mind set, LOL. Two years ago we got home to find the glass turn table of the microwave busted on the floor-the microwave door had come open and it opens hard! Last year we found the spring on the suspension system broke-that was scary knowing we came close to bad things happening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you had a great trip, even with the challenges. I hope Dave is all mended by now.
    I don't have an answer as to keeping organized because I don't stay organized. However, quilts keep going out the door, so I'm happy. I'm always busy in the sewing room (which always looks terrible), working on several projects at once. Though I try to quilt a quilt top as soon as it's finished, I usually find myself paralyzed as to how to quilt it. So, it goes on a hanger to await final judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great adventure and story of your travels. Glad you were able to find a fix for the broken window. Also glad that your hubby is on the mend! I find making a list and prioritizing helps me stay focused. Well, it helps sometimes LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your trip looks like so much fun - the hiking especially. I love the landscape photos. Our class just had its 60th reunion! Hubs was still having knee pain, and I had just had surgery on my chin, so we didn't make the trip to northeastern Oklahoma. When we saw the photos on Facebook, we had to ask the post-er to add names - some were hard to recognize!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before you even typed MacGyver - I said - that Dave... he is a modern day MacGyver!! go him!! Sounds like an amazing trip - and your Star quilt - LOVE!!! What a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dave is a modern day MacGyver! Those "fix it/make it work" skills are rare! What an amazing trip. I am intrigued by your life goal. As for how to stay organized. . .I make an annual list and a monthly list. There is always room for Gertie's projects! Happy Stitching and Welcome Home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Melva, sorry for linking up in two posts - I'm still trying to get myself sorted from my week away. While travelling I usually write lists which I take out whenever something comes up. The trick is to refer back to the list and not loose it! It sounds like you had a good trip. Love your Rainbow star quilt! It sounds like you need to take a few deep breaths :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recap of your trip, Melva. I especially love the two photos of the Monument Rocks.

    ReplyDelete