Saturday, April 21, 2018

Binding - from the past - Quilters Through The Generations

I was prepared to share a new Quilters Through The Generations story with you, yet the individual that I had scheduled has experienced some technical difficulties... therefore, I thought I would take a little different approach.

I participated in a blog hop this week that addressed, and hopefully removes, some of the challenges of binding.  Last month on instagram Amy from Amy's Creative Side hosted #quiltfest.  Each day she had a topic or word and encouraged all quilters to share their personal definition or perspective on the subject.  

One of the techniques (I call it "backing as the binding technique") offered by one of the quilters was simply to trim the front and batting to the finished size - leaving the backing 3/4" larger...



fold in 1/4" 













You then folding the back over the front raw edges and you are ready to either hand stitch or machine stitch the binding.







Last year when I started the Quilters Through The Generations series and started examining the quilts from my Grandma and Great-Grandmothers I noticed that some of the bindings were done in this fashion - the photo show below, for example.




I actually have used this technique (several years ago) when I had run out of the fabric I had intended to use as the binding.  It was a simple finish and looked good.  The draw back I see in this is that the "binding" is a single layer of fabric and could wear thin a little quicker (as indicated in the photos with the arrows).  































So, tell, me, is this a viable binding technique?  

I think absolutely! 
(Especially in a pinch.)


And one that quilters of my family has used... it must be in the genes. 😉

Quilt Happy!

Melva



5 comments:

  1. Backing as binding is a great tip and trick to know how to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have an idea of how to do this! I am working with one that is a little short and trying to figure out an approach - back is not an option this time. Creative women have always found ways to “make it work”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started making baby quilts, this is the method that I used. It was simple and fast to do. I really loved the way it looked, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. The last pic looks like someone took a bite out of that quilt. I've used that technique (bringing the backing around to the front for the binding) when I put minky on the back. Then I cut the batting so it extends an inch or even two past the top (but don't cut the bottom minky) so that when I wrap the minky around the bound edge, there will be an inch or two of the minky showing. It gives it that nice minky feel on the front too. I then stitch it down with a large curvey multi-stitch zig zag (it probably has a proper name but this is how I know it as) in the binding edge. I did both of the giraffe quilts like this.

    ReplyDelete