Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Patterns vs Recipes

Since Mid-May I have been searching for and trying Gluten Free recipes...  my immune system required it and since making the major change (along with the other restrictions I already had in place) I do feel better...

Here is a quick look at what I am "allowed" - the column on the left...


Funny thing, how you don't even realize that you feel bad or off until you make a change and you realize then that you really do feel "better"!

For me, looking at recipes is like looking through a quilting magazine or pattern book.

You come across lots and lots of options, and every once in a while, you find something that you just HAVE to get/try.

In between all of my quilting and dress alterations, I have been recipe testing...

Some of the recipes that I have found as GF substitutions are border-line acceptable - like pizza crust - I have tried several - the results are mediocre, at best (yet the best I have found)... 

2 cups GF flour (I use 1 cup Brown Rice Flour and 1 cup Casava)
2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon organic coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 cups hot water (110-120 degrees)

Mix dry ingredients together and add oil & water, mixing well.
Pat onto lightly oiled pizza pan with hands.
Bake in pre-heated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Add your choice of toppings.
Bake another 15 minutes or until the cheese and crust start to get golden brown.

What I HAVE discovered after using "this best option" is that while the pizza freshly baked is mostly acceptable, the left overs are much better.  I won't pretend to understand the "science" behind it, but it has crossed my mind to make the pizza, cut into slices, let cool and place it in the refrigerator for a day or two and then re-warm in the oven as a "real meal" (not left-overs).  What a hassle - and too much work!

So in the three months of following the restrictions as closely as possible, I was told that yes, my immune system is improving but that I need to continue with the restrictions and give my body more time to heal... **sigh**  

I had hoped that I would be able to add back in an occasional pizza or even a flour tortilla...

However, on the up side... I am improving, so there may be some hope!  

Also I learned that I am able to have Einkorn flour - all of the reviews state that it is a cup for cup replacement - without odd taste or smell!  YAY!  I have a two pound bag on order and have my fingers crossed that this is not just another "meh" option.

But until I actually try it, I will continue on with what I have bravely and successfully found.

Here are a few recipes - the "Best of the Best" and not even considered a "substitute" or "alternative", as quoted by my husband - 

LASAGNA

Gluten-Free noodles - I used Brown Rice Pasta by Tinkyáda (I used straight from the box without boiling them.)

Marinara/meat sauce - use/make your favorite as you would for any other lasagna or spaghetti.  I prefer Italian seasoned ground turkey over ground beef

Cheese mixture -
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese (notice, not Mozzarella, as it is not "allowed".)
1 cup fresh shredded zucchini
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
2 eggs

Place a small amount of marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking pan.  Place a layer of noodles, top with a layer of the cheese mixture. Add a layer of the marinara sauce.  Repeat layers two more times.  top with Monterey Jack cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!

And for dessert...

LINDA'S FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE**
8.5 oz Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks
1 C butter (2 sticks)
1 ½ C coconut sugar
1 C cocoa powder (sift for better quality)
6 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract 

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. 

Break up the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and melt in microwave on low, stirring occasionally. When partially melted add the butter and continue to alternate heating and stirring until both are completely melted. Be careful to just melt and not overheat. When melted set aside for a few minutes and prepare pan.

Line the bottom of a 10" springform pan with parchment paper, grease the paper lightly and dust with cocoa powder.
Add sugar, cocoa powder vanilla and eggs to chocolate mixture and mix well.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake approximately 45 minutes or until cake is cooked in center. Test by touching center of cake lightly. It should feel "solid". Remove from oven and let cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cake cool somewhat and then glaze while still slightly warm. 

Glaze: ½ C Enjoy Life Chocolate chips (or chunks) and 2 Tbsp butter. Melt together and whisk til smooth and shiny and spread over warm cake. 


(**Recipe can be halved and baked in a 7" springform pan)

Well, there you have it... The recipes (patterns) I have found to be my favorites, thus far.  I have no affiliation with any of the mentioned "brand names" but have found that these are products that "fit within my dietary restrictions."

As far as favorite quilt blocks go, I just love log cabin blocks.


















Do you have a favorite block?
How about a favorite recipe?
I'd love to hear what your favorites are... leave a comment!

Blessings,

Melva

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for taking care of yourself and finding things you like. It is a long road sometimes with all of this. That chocolate cake looks yum! I have worked with Nina, at http://ninamanolson.com/blog/, and she has some interesting recipes (a bean cake - really good actually and a few others). I am sure you have found Elana's pantry and Spunky Coconut. They too have some great recipes.

    ReplyDelete