Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Hand Piecing is So Much More Than Just Piecing...

In the past week I have spent a great deal of time sitting and waiting... I waited as my Mom was prepped for surgery - a double total knee replacement.  I waited for the updates during surgery telling me that the first knee was being closed and eventually the second. I waited to be able to see her in recovery.  I waited for her to be moved to her room.

And that was just the first day!


While waiting I did some hand piecing.


I had 76 of these rectangles with a half-square triangle to piece.  Seventy-six... and only one was stitched incorrectly (with the wrong side of fabric up).  I think that was pretty good, given the various distractions and interruptions that occurred.

I had numerous comments on my choice of activity... One lady seemed envious that she hadn't been able to do any quilt for about 6 weeks because of complications with her husband's knee replacement.  She spoke longingly of the quilting group that had a project that was to be donated for a benefit dinner. She hoped that she would be able to be part of the project and contribute her two blocks.  

There is just something soothing and calming about piecing and quilting.  It helped me to pass the time, sure.  But I have always spent my time making quilts in prayer... so what better activity to do as I waited?

I am happy to report that, so far, my Mom is doing well.  There were some issues with nausea, but that is under control, as well as the pain, and she will soon be making a transfer to the rehabilitation hospital.

If you feel so inclined, I would welcome your prayers as she continues on her journey.

God Bless!

Melva

Follow other bloggers at Quilter Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment